Monday, March 18, 2013

Boston trip

Soon, soon I am going to get it together to take and post pictures again.  Or not.  Right now, Sammy is sleeping in his carseat (the trip out to drop Elsa off at Farm School is usually enough to make him drop off), and Elsa and David are gone.  I have two hours a week like this...alone with only baby.  I should get my knitting.  I should get my coffee.  I should do the breakfast dishes.  I should figure out what to make for dinner.  It is cold and rainy here--come on spring, we are ready.

Anyway, the kids and I took an amazing trip to Boston last week to visit my parents and to do some homeschooling adventuring.  The trip was a spectacular success, although flying alone with three children is not the MOST fun.  The flight up was particularly hard, with a certain four year old becoming intensely upset about having to put his backpack through security, and also about having to ride to his grandparents' house in a flowered carseat.  It was a lot easier (except for my own rather intense anxiety) on the trip back down.

Boston (or Hingham, the town south of Boston where I grew up and where my parents still live) was lots and lots of fun.  The kids got to go sledding, because in the first days, there was snow which we did not get enough of to do.  We checked out the very old graveyard and a house that was built in 1630...especially enjoying the closet behine the fireplace where slaves escaping on the Underground Railway may have hidden.  We went to the beach, where we found lots of shells and other things washed up because of the Northeasters that they had up there, and talked to a guy who was using his metal detector to hunt for treasure on that beach.  We got hot chocolate at the coffee shop (I have to say that the Dripolator is a better coffee shop).  We went to the Boston Science Museum, an enormous museum where David spent pretty much the whole time playing in the model rocket ship.  Elsa say a lightening show and looked at more exhibits.  We also went to see the model train museum.  I have to say, my parents really pulled out all the stops on showing us a wonderful time.

However, if you ask Elsa what she liked best, she will tell you without hesitation that she loved riding the subway.  The activity on Friday was... riding the subway.   We took the train in to South Station, got off, and hung out in the big depot.  Elsa and David had a cupcake, and Elsa bought a Boston Celtics bear with her rabbit hutch cleaning money, I nursed the baby, and we returned.  On the way back, it was rush hour, which was a little tough for David, but thrilling for Elsa as she got to hear people talking in different languages, and tried to stand up, holding the pole.

It was a really nice trip, and I am glad that I did it.  I had been feeling bad about how much we have been staying home lately, It has been a combination of having, you know, a new baby, and David going through a particularly intense phase.  I know his intensity is going to serve him in good stead when he gets older, but it can be hard for all of us to handle when he is still such a little package.  So, I feel good about that huge adventure. 

Yesterday was beautiful...today, not so much.   As soon as it gets nicer, I am going to figure out how to keep the chickens out of the garden so I can plant my peas....it is nice to be home too.

No comments:

Post a Comment