Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Halloween and other makings

My mom didn't sew, but she did always insist that we make our own costumes.  This sometimes meant that I wore a paper bag mask over my head, and then went home after one house totally terrified. Sometimes it involved dyeing a pillowcase green and making a Peter Pan costume.  And sometimes it involved searches at the thrift store and making a hoop skirt out of a hula hoop.   But it was fun, and I want to do the same for my own kids.  Tomorrow, we need to start Pea's bird costume (thank God she is off being a fairy--no clue how to proceed) and Dumpling's pirate costume.  We will be relying on a lot of pillowcase, dye, play silks (that we dyed this summer) and maybe a little sewing.  Which is exciting but I am realizing that suddenly the craft season is upon us.

 I have started a knitted hippo for Pea, in what I thought was plenty of time but am realizing that it is perhaps not, as clearly I also have to knit Dumpling some kind of critter, and I am not the fastest knitter on the planet.  Also, I would like to finish the endless sweater that I started knitting Pea in March, before she outgrows it or the weather turns from sweater needing to ski jacket needing and I will be SOL.  And Dumpling is insisting that Elsa's pink, tiny tea leaves sweater is actually his, so I need to get some garment, hopefully using extremely chunky yarn, for him on the needles.  Also, I have all sorts of ideas ranging around in my head (generally gleaned from the internet, not my own creative head.) I want to make some Thanksgiving decorations... And then there is the Christmas makings for other people, which I would like to involve the kids in.  Last year I embroidered Pea's drawings on cloth napkins for Grammy, and Pea was more excited to see Grammy open that present than she was to open any of her own presents.   And I need to make something from the tons of pears that we picked from an abandoned house's tree....Yikes...and put the garden to bed...and buy some pumpkins and get some more apples, and fall is really busy...

No comments:

Post a Comment