Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas

Christmas....


Elsa and David cutting cheese  with the Montessori style knives I got them for their stocking.   That's basically what I got them--cutting boards, knives, pizza cutters, and some crayons.  Oh, and Jesse got them these cute Obama shirts--Santa is, it turns out, a Democrat.  David is wearing his pirate hat here too, for fun.  He was not interested in being in the pageant if he couldn't be a pirate (which, in case you are wondering, he could not.  Our small Episcopal church is delightfully liberal, but perhaps not that liberal.)  I began to worry that they would think the presents were so lame, but no.  They love them, particularly David...every year I basically get them useful presents for their Santa presents--toothbrushes, hand soap...and every year they are totally thrilled.  "Santa got me some toothpaste..." with round, happy eyes..


Below is the knitted tyrannasaurus rex I made for David.  It's really cute, if I do say so, but he does not love it with the passion that Elsa loves her knitted hippo.  The picture is down below.  I can't figure out how to move it.  



Christmas was perfect, really.  It was a wonderful day with my delightful parents and brother and of course my husband and children.  It was relatively simple--my mother has really understood our desire not to go over the top with presents for my children, and I did manage to give everyone a handmade present.  (Although I am still working on my mother's scarf--typically, I lost one of the legs for Elsa's hippo and was up very late knitting another one and didn't finish her scarf.) 

And what really wowed me was that Elsa came up with a handmade present for everyone...I was sort of concerned that we weren't working together on things for everyone, but it turns out that she was working on them herself.  She needle felted me a butterfly, complete with antennae, and it made me cry. 

And we just hung out and played and were together, until it was time for our Christmas dinner.  Elsa, (in the pilgrim outfit that my mother got her--my mom definitely knows my girl) helped. make the Yorkshire pudding and chocolate sauce.  I love Christmas dinner.  I use a lot of butter and always make the same thing (standing rib roast, yorkshire pudding, and kale and pomegranite salade--to balance out the butter and meat thing...) 


And, as wonderful as it was, I need to remind myself that there was some stress and anxiety leading up to Christmas for me.  Pulling off a mostly handmade Christmas is a lot of work.  It's kind of like teaching--there is always more that you can do.  I think it was the same last year, but I forgot, and got more anxious because I am anxious.  Christmas is fun, but





Here is Mary's Star Path, all done, with Jesus in the manger.  It's sort of sad, actually...I am looking forward to the next thing.  New Year's, Epiphany...Valentine's Day...Easter...life's rhythms are sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment