Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Making Wrapping Paper

This  has been an unseasonably warm December--today it is a beautiful, albeit strange, 63 degrees, which has made it a little harder to get all of our usual Christmas making done. The kids are running around outside, which is, of course, fabulous, but I find myself sort of stressed, wanting to make things happen, and feeling like the time is running out.  I have got to make cookies (no, no, not yet) and wrapping paper and gift ideas are still floating around unexecuted....

Last December we made all of our wrapping paper--we used old paper bags from the grocery that I get when I forget, as usual, to bring my canvas bags and the brown paper that comes in packages and cut out potatoes to make shapes to print on.  I wanted to do it again this year--I do love how those packages look all tied up with scrap yarn, but every time I mentioned it, the kids didn't feel like it.  So, I just decided to do it myself.  And guess what?  The kids wanted to help.  And we have a good supply.  Next year, I may try this, now that my sewing machine may be working. 

And we have new neighbors, one of whom is a three and a half year old girl, which combined with the current lack of a fence, has been great fun for Elsa and David.  Elsa is constantly bringing things over to them--we made those fun pine cones dipped in beeswax and glitter, and cookies, and the little girls seem to be running between houses.  It is very sweet, and I do mostly like to have lots of kids underfoot.

And now we are heading off to the (indoor) pool.  I would, of course, rather stay home, but Elsa has been asking and asking, and I have been putting her off, promising soon, and you know what?  Soon is here.  So off we go, on this glorious day, to the indoor pool.  Happily, Elsa, in her enthusiasm, has packed us each a bag.  I may go check, but it makes it a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment