Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yarn Along

Joining with Ginny at Small Things for her Yarn Along.  I am desperately trying to finish this big lacy scarf from More Last Minute Knitted Gifts for my mom before she has to go home on Friday.  I think I should be able to do it.  But last year, when I was just getting into knitting again, I bought my dad some yarn and promised him a scarf for Christmas.  Well, guess what was under the tree this year for him?  Yes, that scarf, finally.  I get a little bored with scarves, but I am hoping to avoid that this time.  And I am kind of cheating with the reading, because I actually haven't started it yet, but my new neighbor, who is a master gardener, lent me this book.  We have a new patch of land where there used to be ivy where I want to plant raspberry bushes, but there is only full sun for about half of the strip, so I am trying to figure out what I might plant where there is only patchy sunlight.  Very exciting.

I have been thinking a lot about how delightful the rhythm of our lives are right now.  I do remember feeling sort of strange this summer because we weren't making much art, and I hardly knitted at all.  But of course, I was busy growing food and taking my children to the river to swim and doing spring/summer time things.  And now that the garden is done, I definitely miss it, and have been somewhat foolishly looking through seed catalogues and circling tomato varieties that I want to grow.  (Despite promising myself that I would grow at least some hybrids this year that are blight resistant-- I don't know that I will-those heirlooms just looks so beautiful).  Anyway, now that Christmas is over, I am thinking about crafting and the other winter holidays.  I want to do some kind of New Year's craft, and find a way to celebrate Epiphany that makes up for the intense sadness of putting all the beloved Christmas items away.  And then Valentine's Day--can we make some kind of heart garland?  There is so much to do and think about...so much fun to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment