Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lost Tooth

Elsa lost her first tooth tonight.  It was kind of a long haul--it got loose around Easter, and I could see the new tooth growing in, and I have to confess to having some Mama anxiety about whether she was going to have a double row of teeth.  But Jesse stepped in, and encouraged her to really wriggle it, and it came out.  She put it in an envelope under her pillow, and I just slipped in and took the tooth, and replaced it with cash.  Two dollars.  Was that too much?  I wish it had occurred to me earlier to make something, to have something special ready to mark the occasion, but, despite the long wait, I didn't think about it until just now.  I think she will appreciate the money, though...

Before she went to sleep--and it took her a long, long time tonight--she said to me, "If you are the tooth fairy, Mommy, please keep my tooth."  That little, tiny white tooth is sitting in my jewelry box.  I think it is the first tooth she got, and I remember when it came in.  Or I remember suddenly realizing it was in--there she was, in the wrap (which is the most valuable piece of baby gear I own), and I put my finger in her mouth and felt its sharp little edge.  She never got cranky when she teethed...just, suddenly there was a tooth.  She was, I think, about 8 months old.  And I remember how excited I was about it.  It just seemed so amazing.  My baby made a tooth.  And now it is gone, with another one loose, and she herself is so excited and pleased with what her body is doing.  My little baby.  My big girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment