Saturday, May 19, 2012

Garden Notes

We went to tailgate this morning, of course, which of course, was great fun.  Jesse and I were a little less casual about David this time around, after a very frightening incident this week where he reached into the road after a toy, causing a car to slam on his brakes, and me to snatch him up and just cry.  We were pretty clear about who was watching, and our distance was much smaller.  Nevertheless, we had a good time.  I got some greens, eggs,  the most enormous bag of sugar snap peas, and a very exciting second wineberry bush.

I had requested that today be a family garden day, which didn't exactly happen.  David was exhausted and took a nap,  Jesse had some work to do and Elsa wasn't really into helping that much (although she did hang out with me as I worked.)  Elsa used to like to help me garden, but she just isn't into it this year.  I put a big load of half rotting compost into the batch composter, dug another bed, amended the soil, and hilled and seeded a bunch of butternut squash (which may have been a bad plan, as I saw a robin hopping off with a seed).  Oh, and I planted a few sweet potato slips that a friend shared with me.  Elsa and I had to run to the garden store for more compost-although, as I told Jesse, with the chickens and our sweet bunny, I think this will be the last year we need to purchase compost.  I hope anyway.

I am definitely tired and sore right now.  Part of me is feeling really pleased with my pregnant self...I have gotten a lot done in the garden this year, all by myself.  I have planted four blueberry bushes, one wineberry (the other still needs to go into the ground), and planted a fairly large garden all on my own.  (I still have three beds to go--a few more tomatoes, pumpkins, beans, but I am close.)  I also raised the chicks pretty much on my own (Elsa did help me some, of course).   On the other hand, I am wondering at what cost?  The house and van are a mess (I hear Jesse sigh when he sees it), the outside part even worse, and it is turning out to be pretty much my thing, not the fun family endeavour I envision.  Is it just taking me away from the children, and preventing me from taking them places?  I like the idea of just being home, and hanging out as a family, but that doesn't exactly seem to be what is happening.  Elsa just seemed kind of bored...not that that is the worst thing in the world for her, but I also want to make sure to have fun family times together. 

I feel like I should have some conclusion about it, but I don't really....

No comments:

Post a Comment