Monday, July 9, 2012

Creek Days







This is one of our favorite spots, about a five minute car ride from our house.  It would probably be walkable, if it weren't straight uphill the whole way.  We live in the mountains.  There is a creek, but I can't really get pictures of the kids when they are in the water, because the rocks are slippery, and they tend to want to jump and climb, and, well, I also want to be in the water too.  The rhododendrons are crazy this year.  They don't always bloom much, but this year we return home we and our towels are covered with the sticky blooms. 

It's been hot here, too hot for the shadeless pool, so this is where we come.  It's so shady I don't even have to put sunblock on them.  We meet friends, and creek walk, and hike around--there's a trail near by.  One of my friends brought clay for the kids to play with while we were there--they used the creek to get it wet, and made stuff.  The kids played camping, and fairies, and explorers...David and his little girlfriend (that's what he calls her--I don't know if her really gets the significance of the word) went off on a long hike with the little girl's mother, while I stayed and creek walked with the bigger girls.  Then we all hiked, and got wet again, and finally had to go home.  It was a perfect and exhausting day.

And, apropos of nothing, I found this list while surfing around on the Internet, waiting for Elsa to fall asleep (she likes me to stay, and that is often when I do this....) and it fills me with excitement and joy.  Both kids are a little young for most of the books on this list, but soon, very soon, they won't be.  I can't wait to read them to them, I can't wait to have them read them while I read them...it is just terribly thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment