Thursday, July 5, 2012

Elsa's Birthday

Elsa's birthday is July 4th.  I love to tell people that Jesse could see the fireworks as she was being born--I could not, as I was laid up on the operating table, completely freaking out about the spinal that left me unable to move my whole body as they prepared to cut me open and get her out of me.  I was quite sick.  I did a lot of grieving about that birth--I was sure that I was going to have a totally natural birth-but I surely wish I hadn't bothered about the grief.  I got to take home a baby, who has been the joy (along with her brother, of course) of my life for six years, and I don't care how she got here.  I had David via c-section as well, and grieved that as well, although he is also my delight and joy.  This baby is going to be a c-section, and there will be no grief.  It's just the way it is, baby, and that's the way my babies have to come out.  Thank God c-sections exist, or probably Elsa and I would have died, and there would be no David or little womblet.

Anyway, back to Elsa's birthday.  It has become our tradition to go blueberry picking on the morning of her birthday.  Last year, we met her best friend, a little boy and his mama, who I met in natural (ha) childbirth class while we were pregnant with Elsa and Ben.  This year, we took the boy, because his mama was busy giving birth to Ben's sister, after a long struggle getting pregnant.  I have to say, I was pretty touched that Elsa and this little girl will share a birthday, albeit six years apart.  So, we went blueberry picking--the pickings were somewhat slim, but not too bad considering many farmers completely lost their crops, owing to a late frost.  We got a little less than a gallon, and we are planning to make jam.  Elsa and I are the dedicated pickers--David got a few, pretty good for a three year old, and Jesse was content to supervise, but Elsa LOVES it.  She did not want to stop, even though we had to go back and bring Ben to see his new baby sister.

Elsa requested hot dogs, and potatoes, squash and cucumbers from the garden for her birthday supper.  So, we harvested some--unfortunately using up most of the pitiful potato crop we had for the year, and picking very small squash.  The fact is, the garden is not doing all that great this year.  I have high hopes for the tomatoes and butternut squash, but not much else is doing that great.  (I am pretending not to care, but I really, really do...just not enough to really get out there in the heat.)  Anyway, I love it that that was her request, and was most eager to comply.  We made cup cakes, which we decorated with raspberries and blueberries and arranged like an American flag (I wonder if she will grow tired of that at some point?) and then I insisted that they take a "rest."  The plan was that to go to Black Mountain's little Fourth of July street carnival and then watch the fireworks, which go on late because it is not completely dark here until after nine o'clock.  It all went as planned, and both children (and Mama) went fast asleep. 

So we had her birthday supper, ate cupcakes, and got ready to go.  Just as we were leaving, there was a tremendous thundershower, which caused great upset.  Thank goodness for Jesse, who turned it into an adventure, and that it cleared and we went.  The carnival was tame and sweet--there was a bounce house, which is always exciting, some balloon animal makers, face painters and a band.  Oh, and lots and lots of junk food for sale, which luckily seemed to go completely over the kids' heads.  We just happened to meet up with some friends, which was great, as Elsa had been hoping to bring Ben with us, but his mama gives birth so fast that he was with her.  Then we went to the kids' Montessorri school, lit up some sparklers, and watched the fireworks.  This was the first time we stayed for the whole thing--last year it was too overwhelming, and both kids wanted to go home after the first few.  It was pretty overwhelming, and David did end up with his ears covered, head in my lap as I shouted to Elsa to COVER YOUR EARS.  Next year, some kind of ear protection will be necessary, although I most likely will be home with the baby while Jesse takes them.  Or maybe he will be some kind of miracle sleeper...I am not holding out for that though.

Also, throughout the day, neighbors stopped by with presents for Elsa--a delphinium (do they know my girl or what), a rose ring, and some sweet handmade cards from the neighborhood children.  I do love how the children in this neighborhood are loved and appreciated.  It was a beautiful day, and have I mentioned that I am so very happy that Elsa was born? 

No comments:

Post a Comment