Thursday, July 19, 2012

Kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk...

Really, not a very original title, but we went blueberry picking today, thank goodness.  It feels very important that we get that in each summer....I am also hoping to pick up another bushel of peaches to can...and that our green beans come in enought to freeze some.  I tried to be uncommitted to putting a bunch of stuff up this summer, but I failed. 






It was lots of fun.  We actually carpooled with another family (and the other mama drove, which was fabulous) so the drive was fun, although the last part of it was on windy mountain roads, and David puked when we got there.  We were very proud that he managed to wait until he was out of the car, poor little boy.  It took him a little bit to feel better, and he wasn't interested in picking this time, but I think he had fun anyway.  It was super hot...and I had to remind myself to stop picking when I didn't feel good, being, you know, pregnant.  Luckily, Elsa is a champion picker, so we got almost a gallon of blueberries. 

We went to Long Branch Environmental Education Center, which is kind of located in Sandy Mush...I don't actually know what Sandy Mush is--a town, an area?  It is pretty much a hippie place, with a composting toilet, encouragement to pee outside, lots of compost and lots of blueberries.  Last year, people reported that there were copperheads there, so we didn't go, which was foolish, as there are apparently copperheads everywhere here.  This is hard for me to get used to, coming from the north.  I did make my children where closed toed shoes.  Elsa chose her rainboots.  David chose his "hiking boots" (snow boots).  Their feet got hot, and we saw no copperheads.  I never want to make my children feel too paranoid about the world, but I did try to remind them to look where they were stepping, and tried to remember it myself.  They did not seem too frightened, so I think I was just teaching them skills for living in the South. 




After picking (we got more than what we had in the above picture, my competitive ego wants everyone to know), we played in the creek.





But, the real hit of the day was this play structure.  David asked if we could come back tomorrow, because he really wanted to play some more on it.  (Even though it was an hour drive which made him throw up.)




No comments:

Post a Comment