Sunday, January 29, 2012

Figuring it out

Lately I have been...stagnant?  I think feeling like I need more of a routine, more guidance to make things happen.  When we (I) decided to keep Elsa to half days at Montessori, I thought I would do more with her in terms of kindergarten work.  Well, I haven't.  And I don't exactly regret this--I mean, I do think that kids need plenty of time to play, and I am just as happy to have her running around outside, or playing with a friend, or muttering stories to herself as she moves the figures about on the nature table.  But lately I have been feeling like things are stagnant.  We seem to be moving somewhat randomly through our days.  We read books, sometimes we make stuff(less lately), we go to the library and to violin lessons...but we don't seem to have a direction.  We need a project--a little fuel to get us going.  So I am thinking about adding some activities to give structure to our week.  I want to have a day that we go to the woods--maybe we could decide together where we want to go...and maybe one arts and crafts project a week--not that we won't have more, but just so we have one that I will plan.  And I think I am going to involve Elsa more intimately in dessert night-we will pick them together, and she is going to have to be in charge of measuring.  So that's it--woods Wednesday, dessert night, arts and crafts day, and library day.  Let's see it goes.

Also, I have been writing down their questions, so maybe we can spend some time figuring out how to answer them.   And thinking about homeschooling, I have two different ideas going.  I really love the ideas of Waldorf--handwork, home based, simplicity...and then, I love project based learning.  I came upon this blog....http://www.whiteoakschool.com/...more things for me to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment