Thursday, January 19, 2012

In a funk...

I have been in a funk these past few days.  I think I need a new book.  Some new ideas.  We haven't been doing much--not getting out, into the woods or anywhere really.  I haven't had much time to knit and I haven't been really motivated to do much else.  I haven't had any ideas for neat crafts to do with the kids--I have felt like I have just needed to do laundry and get things cleaned up, or get organized to go to an activity (violin lesson or taking the kids swimming at the indoor pool).   Sometimes I will sit down to draw with the kids, or, honestly, get out the drawing stuff and throw them on the table while I make dinner or fold the laundry (or search the internet fruitlessly for inspiration), and Elsa will busily make 16 nearly identical drawings of ladies in fancy dresses, with which I have no idea what to do.  Probably the secret is just to GO OUTSIDE, to go to the woods, to look at things differently.  Probably the secret is not to compare myself, not to worry that I need to be offering my children an enriching experience at every moment.  Probably the secret is to be okay in the moment, that the place we are at does not allow for big adventures (David naps right after school, and by the time he wakes up, it is usually about to get to cold to go out anywhere big to play.)  Probably the secret is to notice that my children are content and happy, and fine.  Probably the secret is to (sometimes) ignore the mess and make something.

2 comments:

  1. those lucky little ones are BEYOND content, happy, and fine~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have to fight my urge to compare so much...

    ReplyDelete