Sunday, February 26, 2012

This and that

In honor of the season we have been experiencing, rather than the actual season, Elsa and I set up our early spring nature table.  It's supposed to be like the Root Children (yet another story by Sybille Von Olfers)--the root children are underground, preparing to come out as flowers.  I want to make a little basket with little bits of colorful fabric pieces in it, as the children are sewing their flower clothes in preparation for spring.  I also thought I would make a little green shoot coming up from the root child's head...the big figure is supposed to be Mother Nature.

Jesse sawed all the wood for the chicken coop today.  It was awesome--he worked so hard, and it also just showed how great our neighborhood is.  He borrowed the saw from one generous neighbor, and two other young dads from the neighborhood came by and helped him quite a bit, one running home several times to bring in some more equipment.  We all know Sunday afternoons are valuable, and we were pretty touched that these young, busy dads were willing to come and help so much.  And I was so proud of Jesse-do it yourself is new to both of us, and I would certainly not have had the courage to try out a table saw at all.  But he was game, and worked and worked and figured it out. 

This is at the trailhead where we go for "Woodsy Wednesdays" (I know, I know, so dorky, but Elsa and David eat it up.)  We have been meeting two other moms and kids on Wednesdays to play in the woods up in Montreat.  David has a real passion for fire hydrants.  Sometimes, when I can't think of anything to do and want to get the kids outside (I have to confess that often they would rather stay inside than go out, which makes me wild) I propose a walk to the fire hydrant in our neighborhood.  Thrilling stuff, I know.


This was the destination on Woodsy Wednesday.  We don't actually usually hike for a long time--which is fine with me as I usually have forty pound David on my back--and thid kids play around.  I think there is some complicated game about being pioneers.  I just sit with the other mothers and chat in the woods while the kids play.  What is not to love about that?

In knitting news, I am making good progress on David's sweater--I am making it huge, as I doubt I will finish it before the warm weather hits and have started a shawl--perhaps for myself.  As I am newly pregnant (way earlier than you are supposed to tell anyone), I am finding more time to knit, as I just have to sit down.  I remember that I was tired with my other two pregnancies(although when I was pregnant with David, I could nap every day with Elsa), but I only remember the words, not the completely bone crushing exhaustion that comes with a new pregnancy.  I am sure I will forget again, too....

No comments:

Post a Comment