Sunday, February 26, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Two posts in a day...and yes, I do realize that Ash Wednesday was a while ago.  I just love the rhythm of the Episcopal liturgical year.  I finally (after several years of wanting to go) went to the Ash Wednesday service at our church (or some of it-I dashed out as soon as Jesse got home, and rushed back home before communion to get a tired little boy to bed at seven).  But I am so glad I went.  And I decided that, rather than focus on making Lent meaningful for the children to focus on making it meaningful for myself.  The sermon was beautiful, about fasting from judging others rather than giving up some sort of food item.  (I have been stalled out in my   juvenile attempts to give up some favored food item in years past, with various amounts of success.)  And I loved having my forehead smeared with an ashen cross, both purifying and lowering. This year, I am trying to fast from judgement of others, from sel-pity--and really, already it is a challenge.  I have been shocked and alarmed at how quickly my mind can fly to judgement, of people I don't know and of people I love dearly.  I have caught myself feeling sorry for myself for whatever small reason instead of feasting on the incredible amounts of blessings in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment