Monday, February 6, 2012

This Weekend

This weekend was very much about preparing for Jesse's departure for Orlando tomorrow.  He is presenting at a conference, and we talked (very briefly) about us all going, and decided, absolutely, hell, no.  Really, I can't imagine anything worse than taking a five and a three year old to Disney World.  I can totally picture them, particularly David, terrified of Mickey (I kind of am), and wandering off, and it just being a totally over-stimulating extravaganza.  So, although we hate to be apart, the kids and I will be holding down the fort while Jesse goes.

Jesse took the kids off to see some puppies on Saturday so I could (this is thrilling) clean the house, and just kind of get organized--do the many, many loads of laundry and maybe find their socks again.  They don't seem to mind, but I just don't like it when they wear their rainboots with nothing underneath.  It creeps me out.  Anyway, Jesse's friends were fostering the puppies, and they were so little that they still needed to be bottle-fed.  And Elsa came home in tears, wanting a tiny puppy so badly.  And really, I wanted to run out and get one for her immediately.  But we need to slow down just a little bit.  I mean, I also really want angora rabbits....and goats...and chickens....

And then, that afternoon, Jesse took David to Home Depot to (drumroll please) buy the wood for our soon to be chicken coop.  His idea (which is a really brilliant one, I think) is to get it built with a sort of an old fashioned work party.  We will provide beer and food, and hopefully our friends will  come and help us get it up.  Then we need to order some chicks, and do it.  Very exciting.  I hope Jesse will have time to write about their trip.  When David came home he was very sweetly serious about carrying the plans and talking about his tools. 

Elsa and I hung out at home and practiced and I started knitting a doll sweater.  Really, it's the way to go I have decided.  The sweaters are fast to finish, and the dolls aren't going to complain and refuse to wear their sweaters because they are itchy.  Also, I have figured out how to have yarn not cost so much...ahem, order it on-line.  I found a knitted doll pattern in Living Craft Magazine--it looks kind of like this, but cuter, and I have to make it--and if you order the yarn on-line, it is much less expensive.  Not that I am going to comletely stop going to our local yarn shop--I just need to spend a bit less money.  This does, of course, mean that I am going to have to learn to wind it.  That can't be too bad.

And finally, in the last of this long and rambly post, our broccoli starts have sprouted.   It's kind of funny, because while I instructed the children to put three seeds in each container, it turns out that they put, ummm, a lot more.  Oh well....

1 comment:

  1. sign us up for your work party! I love Jesse's beer selections, so it will totally be a win-win ;-)

    ReplyDelete