Monday, March 12, 2012

The Best Weekend Ever

And I mean it!  This weekend we built our chicken coop.  When I say we, I do not mean Jesse and me.  Saturday morning, Jesse took off for a while to buy supplies.  You might think those supplies were tools and stuff, but no, it was beer.  We had a work party--neither Jesse nor I are super handy (he is way better than I), so we invited people over to help us build it, in return for beer and pizza.  My parents called it a Tom Sawyer kind of party, but we prefer to think of it as more of an old-fashioned Amish style barn(chicken coop) raising.  (Of course, I did not have to spend all of my time in the kitchen, preparing a huge feast for everyone, which might have been fun, but the pizza at our local pizza place is wicked good, and I really liked just hanging out.  I am pregnant after all.)  Anyway, it was so much fun. In my twenties, I would have been totally offended by the total separation of the sexes, but now, I am fine with it.  The guys worked with all kinds of tools (borrowed and brought as we have so little) while the women hung out, watched the kids and ate pizza.  The non-pregnant women drank beer. The guys ate pizza and drank beer too, all the while sawing and drilling and pounding.  And the kids just ran around our yard, which has many, many hand me down toys-tricycles, that toy car that all toddlers love, a toddler slide that my children still enjoy playing on while we basked in the sun.   The kids, dying to help, got to practice pounding nails in some scrap wood.  And now we have a beautiful chicken coop and even more (is that possible) affetion for our neighbors.

Here is where I should insert a picture of the completed chicken coop,  but I haven't downloaded it yet.  Soon.  Anyway, it was so much fun to have our friends over and for 14 pizzas and I am not too sure how many beers, we have ourselves a chicken coop.
Sorry, Amanda, I cut off your head.   I didn't do it on purpose.


2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow, 14?!!! Was it really that many? I totally believe that it was.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over two days...yes. And worth it.

    ReplyDelete