Sunday, March 4, 2012

This Weekend...

my husband was amazing.  Come to think of it, he was last weekend as well (sawing wood for our chicken coop).  Anyway, in between kids in crisis at his job and needing to buy a new car (he as pretty much decided on a 1999 Camry for very little money), he has basically taken the kids all weekend.  I am pretty much knocked out by the combination of cold/pregnancy misery, and as he left with the kids this afternoon, he told me, in all serious, not to do too much work but to rest (he has to, you know, earn a living this week, and will not be available to constantly take care of the kids/run errands for me).  That's what he told me, despite the dirty floor, sink full of dishes, and laundry pile so large...I can't really think of a funny metaphor right now, but it is wicked big.  I do appreciate it.

 It has been chilly and windy this weekend, at least compared with the week, where temperatures were in the 60's, and I have to admit that Jesse has been taking the kids to the mall.  And, I am proud to say, I was totally not snarky about it.  (Sometimes I am--okay, usually I am.)  If Jesse wants to take the kids to the mall to run around and read books in the bookstore and whatever else, I am willing to say thank you and better him than me.  Really, he couldn't be more patient with me.  And the kids love it.  And then they come home, deperate for mama, which is sweet too, as I am desperate for them after a bit.

I am happily realizing that at this point Elsa really can help me with housework.  This morning, I asked her to sweep the living room, and she totally did it, then, inspired by the cleaning, went in to totally clean up her room.  Of course, David was totally flummoxed and did not want to help, instead, messing up her pile several times because he wanted her to play with him, leading to some rage and tears, and my not handling it as gracefully as I should have.   I have not had to think so much about activities for the three year old this time around, as usually Elsa takes care of that for me.  It has been hard finding playmates for David, because really, who can compete with this amazingly patient and creative five year old sister of his.  She is way too much fun, but sometimes, she does need a break, and this mama is a little rusty in trying to help him get started in productive activity.

But then he and I made bread, which had to include an egg because that is what he was excited about.  Let's crack an egg!  It should turn out well--I think I got all the little eggshell bits out.  It reminds me why we buy eggs from our friend Lori--the eggshells are much less crumbly in good free-range hens's eggs.    And I made some stock and some awesome ginger root tea which is so spicy it makes me hiccup and I am hoping will knock this nasty chest stuff out of me. (You chop up a thumb sized chunk of ginger and boil it with two cups of water until half of it boils off, then add a ton of honey and lemon.  It works pretty great, usually.)  Also, while I was making the stock, David came into the kitchen.  "Sumpling smells good!" he said (love the sumpling...love, love, love it).  "I am making stock."  "I hate stock," he shouted.  "But it smells good."  Sometimes he likes it, sometimes he doesn't.  He is such a funny, fierce determined little man.   All of that after I finally had cleaned up the kitchen, which had been not so great these past few days, although not as bad as it could have been, seeing that I haven't been up to cooking.  But still, it always seems to be like that--as soon as it is cleaned up it is messy again.  I keep reading about it other places, but it is so true.  This is part of what being at home is like.  And then I was prostrated tired, and had to lie down.  Soon I will attack the pile of laundry...maybe I will try to knit a little or even go outside and gaze at my garden.  (There is nothing in it--it is just comforting for me to look at it.)  Anyway, really what I want to say is thank you Jesse, it is incredibly helpful, and when I am feeling better (possibly in about two years) I will make it up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment