Friday, March 30, 2012

Scenes from the Week


It was a good week full of outside time, meals, cooking, everything outside.  We went to the River Trail at Warren Wilson for Woodsy Wednesday. This is one of our favorite spots-we take a short hike, and there is this little beachy area not far at all where the kids can play.  In the summer we went quite a bit with a picnic and bathing suits and towels.  Since it was March, I didn't bother with that, but  it was so warm that the kids ended up stripping down to their underwear and wading in.  I sat on the sand.  The hike was fun too--we ran into lots of people with dogs--Elsa has completely overcome her fear of dogs.



We made strawberry shortcake for dessert night.  Elsa was in charge of chopping the strawberries.  She did a very neat job, even though she was dying to run off to play with the little neigbor girl and David.  I ordered cream from the raw milk cooperative where we got our milk--I thought the kids and I could whip it by putting it into a Mason jar and shaking it, but it was already thicker than whipped cream.  And I made some biscuits.  It was a huge hit.

Above is Elsa watering her tulips.  I know, I know, they don't need to be watered, but Elsa has fun caring for her garden.  She is very pleased with her flower garden, and often mentions how helpful it is for my garden, because it attracts good bugs.  (And, indeed it does!)

Below, as you can see, the chicks are getting big really fast.  IThey are already a lot bigger.  I am wishing I had gotten maybe one more--they had Australorps at the greenhouse where we got them, and I love the idea of having a bit of everything.  But, there is time for all things, or at least, I hope.  We can get a few more next spring if we want to.  (Remain calm....)  Elsa has been super helpful--she can clean out their water and food (they tend to make a big fuss and kick bedding into it all the time), and check their bottoms for paste, and just generally check them for well being. 
Library day and books everywhere.  He loves stories as much as his sister, and is actually more content to just sit and look at them.  David has been seeming so grown up lately-his attention span is increasing, he is more willing to walk instead of being carried, and is wanting more to play with other children.
Elsa and I painted rocks--I made some strawberry signs to go around the various strawberry patches in the garden, and she made a tulip one and some other just fun rock paintings.  The computer is there because we were listening to a Sparkle Story. 



The strawberry plants are blooming. I put in thirty June-bearing plants last spring, and dutifully pinched off all of the blossoms. They have spread, and I must have at least sixty plants now, so I am hoping for a really big strawberry harvest. The kids each have their own small batch of ever-bearing strawberries in their gardens, and their strawberries almost never get ripe, they are eaten so quickly.


The kids are playing camping here.  They played this game practically all day--eventually getting the tarps that we use for the chicken coop until we paint it (important project coming up!)  and making "tents."  I can't believe we haven't taken them camping yet.  Shocking.

Our nature table.  Elsa declared we needed more color, as it is no longer early spring, but spring.  And she is right.  She made the daffodil fairy and the daffodil baby inside a felted egg.  (We wet felted around some plastic eggs for their Easter baskets.)  In the background is a bowl of dirt and ashes, for Lent, which I put up this week too.  We are doing the short version of Lent here.  This Sunday I am planning to have them plant grass seed in it and hopefully it will grow green in time for Easter.

I am feeling a little better, and we have done a little more this week, which is enheartening.  I am still tired and have to rest a lot, but the children are getting better at playing on their own, and we are having a good enough time.  Meals and rhythms are not what they were, but we are getting there.  I am almost through the first trimester, which is exciting....

Oh, just other random notes--my wonderful neighbor tilled the garden for us.  I have been digging beds and have planted peas, broccoli and kale.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the potatoes in...Things are indeed clicking along.

No comments:

Post a Comment