Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween

In our small town, which is geographically fairly large, but with a small population, trick or treating happens on one block right near the very small downtown.  And it has grown, so that literally thousands of people come from all over to trick or treat on this block.  The people who live there spend hundreds of dollars on candy, and I don't know how much on decorations.  When Pea was a baby, and didn't really care about Halloween, it was kind of fun.  People go all out--the parents and children are dressed up, the lawn displays are incredible, and there is a sort of festival atmosphere. 

Every year I have liked it less.  The decorations are scary and overwhelming.  I feel like I am going to lose track of my children.  Dumpling went to about five houses before he was done, declaring that he had "enough candy."  Luckily, both kids learned this very sweet song at Montessori pre-school, about how the ghosts and goblins, witches and bats were just silly costumes for Halloween, and would break into the song upon seeing an adult in a scary costume. 

I remember setting out in my neighborhood to trick or treat, and it was so deliciously spooky without being too much.  All the houses had homemade jack-o-lanterns, and it was so much fun to go to all those houses in the dark, to see a few other costumed children out trick or treating, and then to come back home to see our own jack-o-lanterns burning, my father passing out candy, and to look through the candy bag and take off my costume and go to bed.   And, although I may be too nostalgic, I think it was better than the totally wild, over the top Halloween that is happening here.  And I want to declare that next year we are going to stay in the neighborhood (we always go to our neighbors, who buy candy just for the few children in the neighborhood.)  Maybe we will have a bonfire, and I can make candy to pass out, and it will be simpler and sweeter.  I don't want to have to get into a car to drive anywhere.  I want one of us to be able to stay home and pass out candy.  Pea may object, but I think she will have fun.

And at some point, I am going to figure out how to actually post pictures here, and then I could post some of their cute costumes.  Soon, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment