Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My job

The day started so badly.  First off, I went to sleep way too late last night--I got a book out of the library "to see if Pea would like it," and read the whole thing (it was a chapter book).  She wouldn't have, which was apparent from the second chapter--it's more of a young adult novel, really.  But, did I stop?  No, I had to read the entire thing.  I do love young people's literature. 

Then, apparently Dumpling crumpled up one of Pea's creations, which although certainly frustrating for her, I had to sympathize with Dumpling, as her creation was a toilet paper tube with toilet paper taped to it, left out on the dining room table.  I am fairly certain that he did not do it maliciously.   And when she discovered it, there were a lot of tears and shouted demands of "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?"  To which, unsurprisingly, the three year old boy did not respond well.  And frankly, I did not use empathy.  I just couldn't do it.  I told Pea that he didn't understand and there was no point in shouting at him.  Then I ignored it, and gave her some breakfast.   

And then suddenly the shouting and tears were over and they were off, playing hard that their room was a barn on fire, and throwing their stuffed animals and dolls out the window, and running around and yelling various firefighter kind of things until it was time for Pea to go to school. 

On the way home from dropping Pea off, Dumpling said, out of the blue, "I love my sister.  I am glad she is my sister." 

Sometimes my job is just to feed them and let them figure it out on their own, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment